17 May, 2013
Minister Plibersek failed to be honest about the long-term consequences of the Government’s private health insurance changes in releasing the latest figures today.
Shadow Health Minister Peter Dutton said Minister Plibersek again failed to mention that she botched the implementation of her own private health insurance cuts and people prepaid their premiums for 18 months or more, delaying the impact on the health system.
“Her own regulator, the Private Health Insurance Administration Council, previously highlighted the prepayments amounted to $1.2 billion in the June 2012 quarter alone,” Mr Dutton said.
“Even Mr Swan’s Budget on Tuesday admitted that there were a ‘higher number of policy holders choosing to prepay their 2012-13 premiums in 2011-12’.
“The Government has yet to get its $1.1 billion in additional cuts to private health insurance through the Parliament, which will push up costs even further for Australians already struggling with escalating health bills.
“This is a Government that ignores the longer term consequences of its actions.
“The full consequences of their catalogue of broken promises and disastrous policy handling of private health will be felt by our health system in the years to come,” Mr Dutton said.
Media contact: Tom Fleming 0437 250 045